Thursday, April 18, 2019

AT1 - Bridle finished

This post covers a one-horse, one-bridle photo session and its news.  As of Sunday the bridle is done, the neckpeices solved and the breastcollar well started.  In the larger scheme of things, this was when I submitted to the necessity of sticky wax.  As you will know, I hate the stuff!  but sometimes it is necessary... and it can solve otherwise unsolvable problems.  Whoever gets this set will find traces of my sticky-wax efforts on it -- !!  How else d'you suppose I got the cape to lie the way I did...

When last we saw this set I was struggling over the orientation of the buckles in the neckpieces.  I may say here I went to the trouble of reversing them again.  (That makes three x gluing and sewing on, and twice ungluing et al.)  I trimmed strap ends even more and decided that bent and squished lace was going to be right whether it showed or not.  But the real solution was sticky wax.  Finally everything looked like what I'd wanted.
Most snaffle bridles do not require a curb strap, of course.  This 'curb' is there only for holding purposes, to position the bridle and hold the bits in place.  (To me a model bridle is not a bridle if it doesn't encircle the muzzle completely...)  It's a standard TSII curb with one friction buckle and two sewn keepers.  I have seen these curbs on the references, so it's not completely outre'.

I don't think Tekes come in pinto!  But what a pretty horse.  This photo was cleverly cropt to hide what looked like enormous front feet:  Optical illusions!
The buckle at the bight of the reins is the same carefully handmade-from-stainless-steel-wire tongue buckle that the rest of the set enjoys.  The drape of the reins, however, was achieved only by virtue of the garment leather.  I used dark brown Edge Cote on this set to depict the effect of edge-slicking, which (for me) was physically impossible to execute.

This photo turned out a favorite.  He looks so plaintive!  The background makes it.  It's a little difficult to get both sides of the bit even.  (You can't see both sides at once in a photo, a mercy I am thankful for.)  The nosepiece may be a smidge short; however it slides up and down well enough.
The above shot also makes him the most "Teke" with the elongated, almost ewe neck.

A Birds Eye view for bridles is not something you normally see.
But I was trying to show the details.  The cape slides along the crown strap.  The neckpieces have center jewels to match the bridle.

Now for the traditional shot in front of our huge old Gallery Pear tree.  It's quite rare to catch that tree at the moment of just budding out -- when it is pink rather than white.  I can't recall any of my famous tack photos that have done so.
Up close.  The pinks match his mane... and eye.
As you may have guessed I am well along with the breastcollar.  The breastcollar of the Akhal Teke set is its climax, as the serape on a Silver Parade set is the center of attention:  the tack's largest, loudest element.  I have conquered the center and am working on the sides.  I already know how I want to hang the leaves.  The next post will be the last on this piece.

It's becoming ever clearer that while I can finish this set, I shan't be able to make another before the end of the month.   Alas for my NMTM hopes!  (At least I now know how to make them!!)  I also feel there is not time to market and sell it properly before May, when I disappear.  I was already feeling guilty for abandoning my earlier projects, two saddles and a book!  Bear with me...

  My current plan is to finish AT1, then start a couple of neckpieces for Brasenose and see how far I can get on his (mine own) set.  We leave on the 3rd of May and return the 9th of June, Lord willin' and the creeks don' rise (read: nobody dies).  Upon return I will attempt to put this set, Akhal Teke Number 1, up for auction.  Then it's back to work on the 2 saddles etcetera.

But you never know what I'm going to fall in love with next.  Stay tuned!  and Thanks for reading.


  1. It is fascinating watching this set come together! It is amazing to me how many of the elements you make yourself. Gorgeous work!

  2. The color choice for this tack looks so good with this horse! I wouldn't have thought to use the ruby, but it just works nicely!

    1. Danielle, Unless you are using 'ruby' to refer to color only, I want to clarify that it's not ruby. It's nail polish, as earlier said.