This hackamore is neither for my next book nor for the Lottery. (The last Lottery winner's piece, a big parade saddle, is percolating along; we figured out the border silver this week.) This hackamore is a little treat I gave myself in between larger projects. Its starting point was a leftover fiador (from 2012) and an old mecate. I found the mecate dates to 2000 - 2001; it really is 15 years old. (I made very few in this style.) The bosal core had been hanging around a few years; I tend to make these basic parts in batches. But the impending freedom of no more Lottery winners was a real spark... and the presence of all my CollectAs! whispering: smaller, smaller, smaller -!!
Both the fiador and the mecate had been put aside as too short. Why not make a Stone-Pony-size working hackamore? All I had to do was finish the bosal, put a tail and tassel on the mecate, and come up with a headstall hanger.
It was more of a struggle than I care to admit, to put a tassel button on the mecate and finish out the tail (quirt). I was rusty. It took a few days (Sept 23 - 25).
I can't seem to leave well enough alone, and experimented with using leather for the core of the heel knot. It seemed like such a good idea; leather can be easily glued and cut to shape. But again in the mysterious way of miniature materials behaving differently at these scales, a leather core was wiggly and softer than I wanted. I should have wired the sides first. Ah well, lessons learned, and it came out OK.
My original plan was to make a flat-braid-decorated headstall. Braided buttons are my love, after all. But the fact that most working (training) bosal hackamores have very plain hangers put a crimp in that idea. Fresh from Ricky's Bridle, the slit-braided headstall base was easy.
I love the look in her eye!
The hackamore will be offered at auction as soon as I can, probably Auction Barn.
Thanks for reading!