Friday, September 19, 2014
TSII #453 was ordered to match a piece of headgear already made. That piece was a Roper set, consisting of a bridle, tie down and breastcollar, created for the competitive English shower Karen Grieve, in 2005. I made a lot of pieces for Karen. I hated it when she left the hobby!
Later that Roper set landed in the hands of my customer. She entered my Lottery and asked for a matching Roper saddle.
Jump forward to 2014. I don't know where most of July, August and Sept went, unless Blanket Fever (collecting Breyer blankets) is something of an excuse. I'm hoping for a post on that subject sometime soon...
Next: a rawhide-wrapped horn.
I'll be honest. I don't like Wade trees or saddles. I think the thick neck looks ugly. I was greatly relieved, after online research, to discover that not all Roping saddles had to have Wade-type thick necks. A mere wrap of rawhide around the neck was enough. But how to do it in miniature... I'd never done this before.
This is my second try:
The same thing was giong on with the stirrups.
I did learn not to waste my rawhide on the stirrup neck wrap, because you absolutely can't see it.
TSII #453's flared fender keeper straps were cut from wide lace by hand and custom-dyed, then edged and greased, and handmade tiny friction buckles were put on, by both gluing and wrap-tying (I believe in overbuilding). Hand-skived, leather is very fragile, and one strap got too thin and broke. I tried to mend it... you can see the effort above, with the single stitch in the middle of the long right-hand tail of the strap. But there was no tolerance for a knot (the knot would have been too big). Glue didn't stick (and I hate glue anyway. More artist pride). I just made another one, recycling the buckle.