Sunday, September 15, 2019
(Luckenbach standard is inspiring for such wilderness; I must say, though, I don't feel I could ever be so detailed.)
The relationships between these horses are rather complicated. I will say they all have long and delicious names.
The silver bay Andalusian (Celeste) mare is Rapadura, a name for piloncillo or jaggery (dried sugar cane juice. let's not get started on this addiction!).
The Rocket is named Alzucar (Spanish for "the sugar").
The Dundee has had a change in name, and is now called Barbahamia (ham pronounced hame).
(Barbados x Bahamas x feminine)
Should I shoot with his ears below the horizon (above), with ears level to my eyes,
This shot bothered me: It looked so plastic. Indeed I lack dolls. (For the record, my best one went to The Jennifer Show, so is unavailable today.)
Friday, September 6, 2019
This Hackamore is up for auction on Model Horse Place. It closes Sept 13th. My reserve is $300.00. Here's a link: Timaru Star II Hackamore
I set out to make a stunning Bosal Hackamore for Dundee, whom I had secured at BreyerFest; he inspired me tremendously, as models sometimes do. I wanted to do braidwork for him. I had a mecate on hand. Finishing the hackamore took a month -- finishing the mecate, which had to be reworked three times, a record, actually took a year -- and I struggled with the fact that both the browband and the bosal turned out a bit large for Dundee (though still fitting him). Casting around in the herd, I tried it on Quill. KaBAMM! Lovely nick!! I had NO idea it would look so good on him! This horse, who doesn't even have his own name yet, stole the show.
I'm going to try the happier path...
The story begins a year ago, in September of 2018, when I undertook a short order (it was a mecate) for a longtime performance shower. We shall call her L (my vet friend is deeply into Superman, so think Lois Lane). My first mecate turned out too short for her taste, so I made another. (That was the year of the Roby Canyon Hackamore, and I was into mecates.) Thus was born L1 and L2.
|L2 (left) and L1 (right)|
L put the mecate on an existing piece of headgear. Somehow - I can guess how - it got untwisted a little, and apparently pressed the wrong way. One strand loosened and the inner core peeped out.
Wisely, the owner decided it could only be fixed in the shop that had created it, and early in 2019 the L2 mecate came back home. (A truly great mercy was that she didn't need it til Sept.) For reasons I can't quite explain, I chose to make a third mecate, and L3 was born. During its creation I learned more about preventing such hernias; 'stripping' or stroking the rope multiple times during spinning seemed to help. The owner was happy with L3. After BFest I turned to retightening the spin on L2. But, alas, my attempts just made things worse, as sometimes happens. That's how it goes.
Yes, I am hestitating to show this! Note not signed...
I thought this might make a blog post of itself: the respinning of a TSII mecate. I took pictures of the removal of the tassel end. But then I started getting swept away by sheer creation, and stopped shooting and just kept spinning. That's how it goes! L2 had also had to be respun back in 2018... I'm so astonished the thread has held up!! The lovely rope, 30" long, was finished Sept 1st, and as it happened, that same day brought me my new camera. My old one had died a week previous. What delightful timing...
Now I plowed ahead with the bosal, the headstall having been finished August 17th. I tell everyone bosals take me 3 days,... but this one took four (Sept 1 - 4). I guess I'm getting older.
Almost there: Just prior to cutting off the cores and putting in the heel concho.
Dundee, known as Barbados in my herd, models what was to have been just for him. It does fit him, but I worry about that browband. And look at the extra turns of mecate I had to take under the jaw.
I have at least three other blog subjects pent up, 'standing at the gate shuffling their feet,' so stay tuned.