Saturday, October 8, 2016

A Pony Hackamore

What fun to make a small-Trad-scale hackamore out of what basically were leftovers!  When you want a little freshening up, try a different scale... 

This hackamore is neither for my next book nor for the Lottery.  (The last Lottery winner's piece, a big parade saddle, is percolating along; we figured out the border silver this week.)  This hackamore is a little treat I gave myself in between larger projects.  Its starting point was a leftover fiador (from 2012) and an old mecate.  I found the mecate dates to 2000 - 2001;  it really is 15 years old.  (I made very few in this style.)  The bosal core had been hanging around a few years; I tend to make these basic parts in batches.  But the impending freedom of no more Lottery winners was a real spark... and the presence of all my CollectAs!  whispering:  smaller, smaller, smaller -!!

Both the fiador and the mecate had been put aside as too short.  Why not make a Stone-Pony-size working hackamore?  All I had to do was finish the bosal, put a tail and tassel on the mecate, and come up with a headstall hanger. 

It was more of a struggle than I care to admit, to put a tassel button on the mecate and finish out the tail (quirt).  I was rusty.  It took a few days (Sept 23 - 25).
The bosal was another struggle.  Normally I don't like arrow-shaped color interweaves on the side buttons; but with the smaller size, nothing else looked remotely as good.

I can't seem to leave well enough alone, and experimented with using leather for the core of the heel knot.  It seemed like such a good idea; leather can be easily glued and cut to shape.  But again in the mysterious way of miniature materials behaving differently at these scales, a leather core was wiggly and softer than I wanted.  I should have wired the sides first.  Ah well, lessons learned, and it came out OK.
There is a domed Rio Ronco concho nailed onto the heel end with a pin, an idea from the big guys.

My original plan was to make a flat-braid-decorated headstall.  Braided buttons are my love, after all.  But the fact that most working (training) bosal hackamores have very plain hangers put a crimp in that idea.  Fresh from Ricky's Bridle, the slit-braided headstall base was easy.

But after I'd put in a couple of forehead tassels and a single silver buckle (cast & plated Rio Rondo) with a braided keeper... ... it looked Done.  At this point, unable to resist, I assembled everything.  Lightly decorated?!  You bet!
  My PhotoShopping isn't consistent; this is what the pony looks like without any red.
Now for any & all resincasts I could come up with who fitted!!
This beautiful Arab pony, Sumara by Sommer Prosser, was finished for me (as Poker Joe) by Liz Bouras.
 The headstall just fits under the forelock.  On this hackamore the throatlatch has to be tied, and a pair of pliers helps immensely. 
I love the look in her eye!
This one is Maxixe (p. max-SEE-shay), the Criollo sculpted by Morgen Kilbourn.  Here is where things really started to look good.  Perhaps it's his Spanish blood.
The bosal is slightly curved, to reflect the pressures of the headstall pulling it up and the reins/mecate/heel knot pulling it down.  Forgive the background.
Amazing how well trained he is...

The hackamore will be offered at auction as soon as I can, probably Auction Barn.
Thanks for reading!


  1. Beautiful work, as always. It's always great to be able to reuse something that "didn't turn out" as a part of something else, especially when so much work has gone into it. Awesome! :)

  2. That looks really good on Maxixe. I especially like the throatlatch piece on this one, it brings the whole thing together.