Thursday, June 13, 2024

TSII #448, 10th Donation Saddle (NAN 2008)

 

From the TSII Saddle Numbers Registry pages:  "High Noon Southern California Parade Saddle.  2008 North American Nationals Auction piece.  My 10th-ever donation [to NAN].  Second-ever saddle to use a Sculpey tree I made myself.  Third-ever saddle to use hot-fix silver conchos;  1st to use gold ones.  First to have solid silver pommel (silver tape) & back skirt plates above the concho bar [read: solid, undecorated silver plate set above the concho row, something the real saddle had].  Based on a saddle seen in the 2008 High Noon Auction in January [of that year].  See N.A. VIII p. 138-145 and 149ff." <-- a reference to my own private tackmaking notes.

Edited 2406.22 with more pictures and an updated bridle; scroll down to end.

Sold to Colette Robertson for the then-record-breaking price of $2000.


 A bit ashamed of that flat cantle (above);  I think it would rise with some hand shaping. [Edit from 2406.22:  The tree to this saddle, as in a few other TSII sets, was handmade from Sculpey.  The cantle cannot rise.  Enjoy its true one-of-a-kind shape!]

This resin is Ramses sculpted by Carol Howard.  The blanket is made with Melody Snow's [blanket-making] book as inspiration.  The bit is one of a kind, made from Argentium with an inset gold round, an ikandi (iron on), as are the other gold spots.

The next few shots aren't quite as flattering to the horse, but the saddle shows up well.  The last face shot is almost comical;  I guess it proves that the bridle can adapt to a forelock!

2406.22  In hand, the bridle proved to have 3 buckles almost solidly covered in verdigris:  poll, throatlatch and noseband.  Only been 16 years!  This photo shows all three.


I made the decision to replace them with our standard twisted-stainless-steel-wire buckles, also handmade and proven to not corrode.  (At least not over the ~20 years I've been using them.)  There were other twisted-wire buckles on the bridle, (curb, face ornament), so why did I use what now appears to be white brass?  Indulging in my ability to carve beautiful buckles, I suspect.  The photo shows them partially cleaned.  The rest of the saddle is fine.

Here's a shot of a horse wearing this newly-fixed bridle.  I know, it's the horse for Medieval.  Y'don't s'pose I'd admit I got 'em mixed up, now, would you...?!


No comments:

Post a Comment