Saturday, July 1, 2023

BreyerFest Offerings: Jaquima & Raven

 

This sweet-faced Peruvian Paso stallion, sculpted by Randy Buckler and painted by Laurie Jo Jensen, is for sale, with free delivery at BreyerFest.  He's a solid cast resin dating from the 90s:  1996 to be exact.  Not gonna lie:  he's had his share of adventures.  Not only have I fixed up his shelf rubs (largely successfully if I say so), I've made a whole new Jaquima (Hah-kee-mah), the Peruvian halter, to go with him.   This beautiful hand-braided and Hill Tribes Silver-bead halter was my 2023 International Tack Maker's Month piece.

First the Jaquima.  This lovely custom halter was blogged about back in April:  Zoltan's Jaquima .  (The name I've given this horse is Zoltan Cometa.)  That post shows the jaquima nearly finished and has a wealth of detail about it.  Here, we'll include pictures of the finished product and remind you that everything is all hand braided, the hooks-&-sliding-loops work, the braided rope is pose-able and the beads are Hill Tribes Silver.  

Close ups:

The TSII typically has about two or three pieces of headgear for sale per year.  The material is artificial sinew (makes the world's best miniature rawhide!) and dyed cotton thread, woven on with a needle.  There is also nylon thread on this tack:  the smaller, less yellow braided buttons.

As the April post claims, I don't intend to make an entire Peruvian Paso saddle set for this horse.   The jaquima would be an excellent prop for breed classes, or it could be the start of a great tack collection.  😀  A collector could either contract another tackmaker for the rest of the outfit, or be inspired to make their own.

Zoltan was the unfortunate recipient of some nearside shelf rubs.  This is the "before" shot.

After more adventures than I care to tell, this is what he looks like today, "after."

I used my pastelling experience from 4 times through NaMoPaiMo, but it still isn't quite perfect.   He gained several coats of satin finish Krylon on his near side, while the rest of the horse is a glossy finish.  Rubbing with a polishing cloth has only partly equalized the situation.  There are still some slight irregularities.

In the course of his years with me, he accrued some strange white lines around his eyes.  Something dried out;  I'm not sure what.  Here's the before (note the white chips in the forelock):

And here's the after.  I treated these with drafter's ink.


In the end, I'm a tackmaker not a painter.  I did the best I could with him, but this has made me appreciate the services of professional restorers just that much more.  I can recommend a couple of outstanding artists for model horse vetting, and there should be more coming up.  Zoltan is now in the "As is, Where is" category of sale.

Discounted from earlier (April):

Horse now priced at $140 and jaquima at $160 for a total of $300.  If purchased without the horse, the jaquima will be a bit higher, $180.  Free delivery at BreyerFest, room 612 of the CHIN.  Or text or call me at 814-321-2980 and make an offer.

Shipping to the lower-48 would be about $25 given the weight of the resin.  International buyers would need an individual postage quote.

Thanks for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment