Monday, April 24, 2023

WIP: Zoltan's Jaquima


I appear to specialize in unfinished projects these days.  But there is method in my madness.  This is my IMTM piece, happily progressing under the radar.  I am allowing myself to work on it only after a certain number of hours per week have been spent on my new book.  Amazingly, each week of April (International Model Tackmaker's Month) has seen those hours completed, and a sliver of time allowed for this halter.  The last Saturday of this month is my birthday and I'll probably allow myself to work on this piece regardless then.  :)

This beautiful Peruvian jaquima (Hah-kee-mah) (halter) started because this horse failed to sell at BreyerFest last year, failed to move on MH$P even after 2 months and went nowhere after having been listed on FB in at least 2 places.  I haven't tried eBay. YET.  Either there's a recession on (quite possible); he's unsellable (a solidcast with hip scuffs!) -- or else he just hasn't found the right person.  I prefer to believe the latter.

April's IMTM is usually an opportunity to make a piece for myself.  In the old days I'd allow myself a piece a year, and when IMTM was born (2018) shortly after NaMoPaiMo (2017), it gave me the wonderful synergy of combining existing private goals with a like-minded hobby public.  Few activities are more fun than coordinated tackmaking, especially now! for someone still feeling mewed up in their own home by forces beyond their control.  I am exceedingly grateful to the hostesses of IMTM (and of NMPM!) and nothing can detract from their honorable service to our hobby.

In a brain-wave flash, I decided to make a Peruvian jaquima, the halter to the full Peruvian Paso set of horse gear, for my wayward stallion for IMTM.  Surely a beautiful braided TSII piece would attract a new owner.  I had last made such tack in the mid-2000s, ultimately creating about 6 of these elaborate sets.  (Some will be shown further down this post.)  The above noseband was created in a single day, April 8th, after I'd marathoned on hours for my new book April 2 through 7th.

 The noseband of the Peruvian jaquima is called the hociquera (ho-see-Care-uh).  Of necessity, knowing I had very limited time [by my standards], I designed the tack to be simple and uncomplicated [by my standards].  I used a Hill Tribes Silver bead I had lots of, chose only 2 kinds of braided buttons and eliminated groups of decoration on the cheeks, throat and lead.  I covered the nose not with a braided button, but with edge-lacing in thread,... an effect nearly as beautiful and certainly easier.  The spareness of the halter tries to set off the richness of the horse.

The second week (amazingly achieving my hours again) I attempted the throat and jaw parts (ahogador) but could not complete them.

I was following notes I had drawn back in 2006 for my own use.  I had briefly played with the idea of including these notes in the next book, but decided they would be too much work to bring up to snuff.  Truly, they deserve their own book.  Also truly, when this next book is finished it will contain enough that aspiring tackmakers could certainly do a good Peruvian with it!

 The third week of April I was on a roll.  I reached my hours goal earlier than ever and swung into finishing the pinhooks on the ahogador and starting the crown.  At the end of that Saturday (April 22) I had this:

Now it makes sense;  now the finished jaquima design can be seen.  The group of buttons and beads used on the noseband, cheek and throat will be used on the crown.  Only the wear-leather flaps, seen in Peruvian gear, need to be stuck in.  There's one on the leadrope too.  Tricky and challenging, but not beyond my skill.

Here's the whole horse.  He just happens to be wearing the Malaguena 2 bridle in this shot:

See what I mean?  If you can do this bridle -- and my new book documents making it exhaustively -- you could do a Peruvian jaquima;  and much else besides.


Randy Buckler's Raven, painted by Laurie Jo Jensen, dated 1996.  Hoping for four hundred,  or best offer, once the jaquima is finished, AND once I've tried my hand at pasteling his scuffs! plus postage.  Sale delayed until June, by family travel.  Before you ask:  I have no intention of making a full Peruvian saddle set to go with this jaquima.  Find and support a rising young tackmaker instead;  I'll help you with that hunt.


Now let's look at past Timaru Star II Peruvian Paso sets.  Here's my very first one, made off this same horse:

Note the date:  Year 2000.

Here's the second one, PeruPaso 2 in 2003.  I'm trying to focus on just the jaquimas.  Bet y'forgot there was a phase where one just laid the horse on the scanner bed, didn't-cha?!  Lends another meaning to the phrase "laid a towel over his head"... !

The next digital one in the files is PeruPaso 4, made in 2005. 

For reasons barely clear at this distance, the jaquima was made first, separately.  Or maybe it's not unclear:  Peruvian sets are so hard to make (to finish!) that I would have spread it out over time.  PeruPaso 4 was finished in 2006, a year later.  Here is an unsimplified version of the jaquima, complete with color:

Now you can get an idea of why I'm calling my IMTM piece 'simple.'  PeruPaso 4 went to A. Giddings.

Time to pause.  The month is almost out.  In May I'm off on vacation for 4 weeks, returning June 4th.  By then I'll know more about selling this horse, my IMTM piece with him, auctioning the Malaguena 2 bridle AND progress on my new book, "Advanced Braidwork for the Model Horse."  As ever always,

Thanks for your patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment