Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Jypsi Layers 8 & 9: a Drop

Layer 9
This has been the most fun! but also the most shocking.  An accident happened this morning:  I dropped her!!  Never try to open 4 door locks while carrying a medallion on a paper towel AND a spray can...

The wisdom of doing a test piece has been well and truly proven.  Today I did the last two layers.  I have done all I can whilst at my folk's house in Tucson -- no Pearl Ex, no gesso. As it is, I feel I'm skirting dangerously close to muddy.  All that remains is the eye and a blaze:  the mythical Layer 10.  When I started, I honestly thought 10 would not be enough.  Live and learn!

Here she is right after the drop:
Broke, Layer 8
Eartip gone, divot on the offside top butt, other scratches and marks.  After I was done whimpering, I took her back inside (unsprayed) and repastelled the white places.  The smaller scratches were no trouble but the large rump nick suffered, mostly because I didn't think.  I proceeded to paint it with today's color, which happened to be the darkest layer of all - the 'saddle' area on the back of a liver chestnut.  Of course, that made the nick into a permanent dark spot.
Layer 8
With no real options, I decided she'd sustained an injury from a rambunctious pasturemate.  These things happen.  The eartip could be explained by frostbite (!).  The rest of the layer was a success.

I've learned to lighten things with a clean Q-tip.  I've learned that a layer of red (technically 109 Earth Red Ochre) can do interesting things to a liver chestnut; I'm inventing this color as I go, and I wanted a coppery tone without sacrificing the essential not-a-bay brown.

Such a sweet little mare.  She has taught me a ton and considerably eased my pent-up frustration at not being able to start my NaMoPaiMo horse until after the 8th.  In tack parlance, I have "used up my mistakes."
Layer 9
But do I think that Brasenose won't be doing the same thing?!  Hah!

1 comment:

  1. I think the richness of the color is really lovely, especially on the hindquarter where the darker color contrasts with the stifle and near the tail.

    ReplyDelete