Saturday, April 9, 2022

Incosante in Tack


 I received my Incosante from Sarah Minkeiwicz yesterday and opened him today.  I had not expected the stickers!  Almost instantly I was prepping him -- without thinking, an unknown time went by whilst I happily scraped and filed, sitting at the tack bench and admiring all the details close-up.  He is perfect.  There is not one error.  This is a horse I have wanted since he was sculpted before our eyes, because I knew he would be perfect for Spanish and Mexican tack.  What I also hadn't expected was quite how excited I was to try him out with pieces long hidden.

Here we are getting white dust all over the pants.  How can I say this is not scolding his amount of flashing, but rather totally enjoying the chance to make him even more mine?  The casting was very very good.


At first I put him into the bridle for TSII #413, the piece I am currently working on.  It's braidwork, it's what I had in mind.  Fair enough.  His head is compelling.  It's an advantage for a tackmaker's horse to remain unfinished.
The character!!  His working his jaws so clearly tells the story of what he thinks of that bit!  Unbelievably, Sarah had even given him gums (along with the teeth and tongue).
I was so eager I hadn't even put him on his base yet.

Following my heart, I pulled out the Emma Harrison braided-bridle collection I had so painfully acquired back in 2016 or so.  Emma is no longer with us.  I felt that the detail and character of this horse was, finally, absolutely perfect for the calibre of tack I had gotten from Emma.

These are museum pieces.  These are some of the most exquisite, unbelievable examples of the miniature braiders' art I have ever come across; they're the best I own.  They cannot be worn but by exceptional horses. 

Some of these I have never photographed on any horse before.  The Red Hackamore is like pure gold.  When the photo below was snapped I was astounded at his classic beauty.  No processing of the shot was needed, except for resizing.

I'm overlooking that Inco's forehead is really too large for these pieces (browband too short), and that the cheek pieces are a bit too long.  Doesn't it seem like he's trying to grab that tassel -- ??

This next bridle is the most incredible Harrison piece in my collection.  It's the most astounding miniature hitched-horsehair bridle I've ever seen.  Inco's on his base now -- I've managed to catch my breath.

I last photo'd this piece on a carousel horse; before that, never.

Such classic proportions!  His mane is full of fenestrations, as you would expect for one flying in the wind.

All right, she forgot a curb strap.  But look at that detail.  This tack is not painted, but actually woven from rayon and polyester thread.

I adjusted the too-long cheeks by looping them up over the browband conchos.  Yes, the whole thing is adjustable. 

I honestly feel that the incredible detail of the horse is equaled by such pieces as these.  He inspires me.  My tack collection, or tack museum, has been too quiet and tucked away for too long.

Incosante, whom I'm temporarily calling Inconstante (inconstant), might also be named Encanto, for enchanting.  Surely this horse was sent to remind me of my capabilities with my favorite type of tack, braidwork, Spanish, Californian and Mexican.  Thank you Sarah; no words can find praise enough for your eye for detail and exquisite capture of the very soul of this animal.

This might be the start of a lovely relationship.






1 comment: