Thursday, April 29, 2021

Poplarville

 

 

What's new here is the recording, not the playing.  Clearly I've been playing for years, purely (just as clearly) as an amateur, solely for myself.  David Thomas Roberts is an American composer of ragtime (amoung other things), born in 1955 and operating out of California.  This rag is so perfectly him that I've fallen madly in love with it and have been playing it for weeks.  The scary thing is I've only just now discovered it, even though it was published in 1979 (!).  It's in his Ragtime Compositions Volume 2.  Maybe someday I'll share Volume 1, all of which are just as amazing and beautiful.

 

The piano is a Harmon & Wellington upright, built in 1909, purchased by my family in 1966 in Denver, where it was made.  Last tuned about 3 years ago.


2 comments:

  1. I love this! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat! Such a gorgeous piano - can you show more pictures of it? I'd love to see the wood. And how fun to see the Fighting Stallion and Spanish Fighting Bull as your audience. Sure would enjoy more of these posts.

    ReplyDelete