Saturday, April 8, 2023

Sound of Silence

 

This morning I dreamed vividly of Judy Renee Pope.  I can only dimly guess what might have inspired such a visitation.  This event was one more reason for blogging about this horse, which I've been meaning to do for some time.  I've named him Sound of Silence.


I had been going through my herd's file box for some totally other reason and ran across his card.  Some of my horse's cards have little stories on them, but his took the cake.  The back is entirely full.  I sat down and read it.

[front side] "Pearl finish 11" Hartland Regal Arabian stallion.  In poor shape, with curled hind legs.  Purchased at BreyerFest '99  from  a redhead in the 400 hall  for $75.00.  EJH said this was too much -- 'they're not that rare' -- but the owner didn't want to sell -- had the horse a long time & a favorite."  [ed. note: EJH = Eleanor Jones Harvey]

[back side]  "Early in 2000 (or earlier) I took this horse in the shower and soft-fingernail'd off most of his black marks.  When what to my wond'ring eyes should appear:  I had also removed much of the top layer of paint  :(

"on what was already a very battlescarred horse.  In February 2000 he was delivered unto Eliz Bouras (at the WCDT MHS in Chambersburg) for selective repainting.  I wanted to restore the main body, but retain the wear & tear towards the outer edges, 'to honor his history.'

"0101.02 [January 2, 2001] Returned.  She had indeed exactly matched Hartland's pearl.  :)  But dust, dirt & lint had gotten into the fixative.  Judy P. repaired this (god knows how) and he arrived w/ smears of grease & small hairs clinging.  There is now dark lint embedded on his back and sides.  I have been handling & cleaning slightly & hope he will become smoother & glossier with time.  His color is fantastic."

I am sorry to say I have completely forgotten what WCDT stood for.  //  All these years later, I can hardly find any 'dark lint' at all.  He still seems an incredible example of what a master pair of artists, Liz and Judy, could do in response to a most unusual customer request, one that cannot have been easy.  Sound of Silence is a rare piece (sorry, Eleanor, I have not seen another in over 20 years) and I am privileged to have him.

As for dreaming about Judy, I think going over Ardith's VCMEC results last night had something to do with it...  I was reading all those old familiar names, hers amongst them, and thinking about my small collection of remakes/rehairs.  I have a couple of Bouras/Pope collaborations besides the Regal pearl.  Maybe someday I can blog about them.



1 comment: